Principles of Dashboard Design
Every thing we do in the world have some part of design principles. Many companies produce the similar products with a touch of difference in the way its designed. I came across multiple quotes on Design. I found the following two which are relevant for Visualization Design
Design is an opportunity to continue telling the story, not just to sum everything up. (Tate Linden)
Design is the conscious effort to impose a meaningful order. (Victor Papanek)
Based on my experience, I came out with few pointers to keep in mind while working in Visualization Projects which will give our customers maximum value for their money.
- Personalization is the key to get attention of end users when it comes to Visualization.
- Role Based approach allows us to personalize the data for Decision Makers.
- Story Telling is the an important element in the way we present data.
- Context Based Information allows to show specifics to understand facts.
- Have an opportunity visual to show where they can focus to improve the ROI.
- Less clicks to get to the point of interest for end user.
- Make all visuals to interact with each other which gives you context based facts and insights.
- Less Is More / Minimalism concept to be used for our Designs.
- Make it animated if possible to tell the story in few seconds.
- Choose Visualization tools which supports Cloud & Mobile platform.
- Answer at least 10 different questions using One Dashboard.
I am sure the list goes on as we become more knowledgeable in what we do. Please add your design principle to this list.